Monday, August 27, 2007

The Tunnel


My best friend from 6th Grade, Jeff, still has a lot to answer for.

Over twenty years, and many piles of money later, Doctor Who continues to be a major driving force in my life. A lot of free time and resources are spent with friends exhibiting similar motivations.

When first introduced to the series, I was already excited about science fiction movies, and filmmaking in general. The images fueled my boyhood imagination in ways that no kind of outdoor sport would. But I knew little of sci-fi television beyond the realm of Star Trek. Which, all in all, isn't a bad start.


When not in the swimming pool, my grandparents and I would spend summers consuming Star Trek. I have pretty good memories of watching old videotapes with them, recorded when the show was in syndication in the 80s. I lived for Kirk's adventures, and greatly enjoyed the wit displayed between Spock and McCoy. The trips spent with my grandparents left me wanting more. However, there wasn't much Trek at the time to go around.

One night, a sleepover at my best friend's house changed my life forever. We were up late (all of 10:30 pm), when this strange show came on public television. I don't think I even knew what public television was at the time, but I was being initiated that night. He knew what was about to happen, but I don't remember him telling me his favorite show was about to come on. I'd already been subjected to an evening full of Monty Python's Flying Circus, knowing it was funny, but not quite grasping why. Then, a weird brown tunnel comes out of nowhere. My ears detect this strange, unearthly music. A man in a scarf and a barely clothed woman start arguing with a robot dog.

All eleven-year-old boys with a pulse love robot dogs.

I get involved in the story, and soon find out,
"The quest is the quest."

Even at that age, I knew the effects weren't quite right. I'm not sure I could've articulated why I liked Doctor Who back then, but the stories were so interesting and so different from anything else I'd ever seen, I didn't care about the effects or costumes. I bought every coffee table book written by Peter Haining I could get my hands on. I still have them.

Ironically, now I look back and appreciate this wondrous program - put together for practically nothing, yet feel that if they had more money, Doctor Who wouldn't have looked right. I wouldn't have the same dogged loyalty I have to the show now. Part of Doctor Who being "slightly rubbish," is almost a badge for my identity as a fan. [1] Don't get me wrong, I like the other shows too. I still enjoy Star Trek. My wife and I would follow Joss Whedon anywhere he'd go. In the 90s, when there was no new Who on the air, my favorite show was The X-Files. [2] But it's my interest in Doctor Who that has defined me, at least culturally, as a person. I've been the underdog, just as (at least in America) Doctor Who has been.


While Doctor Who may not have had the resources of a lot of other science fiction on television, it stands out as being a series about one extremely intelligent man making a difference. In a culture with a lot of gun violence, it's refreshing to see a hero outwit an enemy without using a weapon, or physical force or any kind. And if the hero insults you as he saves the day, than you probably saw it on Doctor Who. For me, it's this combination of factors that makes the Doctor the most important character on television.


And, the thing that gets me - he's still relevant. With the increasing violence and environmental dangers in our world, Doctor Who may be more relevant than ever. I don't want to be ridiculous and infer that a television show can change or save the world (what a weight for any producer's shoulders!) but Doctor Who certainly has a better shot at it than Desperate Housewives. The Doctor's message of understanding diversity, protecting the environment, using your head, and most of all - trying to find peaceful solutions to problems - is one that needs to resonate with the children (and some adults) of the twenty-first century.

Thankfully, this seems to be the case. With the series approaching its 45th Anniversary (as well as what is, technically, Season 30) we are now amidst at least some third generation Doctor Who fans who can't wait until the next Christmas special. The show is just as popular now as when Dalekmania first hit London. The series is winning Hugos and BAFTAs, and the children who always knew the show's potential have grown up to become its writers, actors, production staff, and even critics. It's true that a lot of my friends have been unsettled by some recent episodes, but that's always been true about "new" Doctor Who. I know one or two people who refuse to acknowledge any other Doctor besides Tom Baker. It is important to understand that change is the only constant in the show. Change has given the show its appeal to the widest variety of fans, and is solely responsible for its longevity. I think the new fans are becoming wise to this, and they're getting the idea that you can't get to David Tennant without going through William Hartnell first, and there is no John Simm without Roger Delgado.

Which leads me, finally, to some sort of point. I've always wanted to watch the series from beginning to end. I'm not sure why. I guess it seems like some sort of noble challenge to me. A quest, if you will. Sure, tons of people have already done this and talked about it, better writers than me among them, but I have a feeling I won't know why I'm doing this until I'm done. Maybe it's the ex-fan organization administrator in me wanting to make sure everyone gets a good look at the show's origins and adolescence. I really enjoy finding connections between the old series and the new. I get excited about finding new perspectives in something I've cherished since childhood.

Or, maybe it's just, "The quest is the quest."

Thank you ever so much, Jeff.




__________
[1] I'm sure lots of people have referred to Doctor Who as being "sligthly rubbish," but I believe I'm quoting Steven Moffat here, in a recent Doctor Who Confidential. Sorry, I can't remember which one. I'm not even sure I'm right about the quote, it might have been just about K9, the point is I attempted to give credit here...

[2] except, of course, one summer night in 1996. But then, for many of us, it doesn't count, does it? (That wacky change again.)

No comments: